We spend about one-third of our lives sleeping, but the beddings in which we sleep in, from childhood to adulthood, supply us with no added value and in most cases may even harm our health, the quality of our sleep, our skin, our hair and might contribute to the development of allergies and other unwanted phenomena. In fact, skin is the largest organ in the human body, breathing and absorbing indiscriminately any substances we touch or are near to us, even when these might be harmful materials.
Since textile products cover our skin and the skin of our children and loved ones, at all hours of the day - during sleep, work, sports and even just sitting on the sofa in front of the television - we are influenced by many of the existing materials in textiles.
The health impact of textile on our lives did not receive proper attention until recent years, and now there's a drastic growth in consumer awareness in the US and Europe textile market, similar to the organic revolution that has swept the food world in recent years.
This is where ONYX enters the picture, presenting a breakthrough in consumer experience and the positive values that can be derived from textile products.
Transforming textile items into smart, high-quality products, which contain various minerals, according to need and the values of minerals, contributes to the user's health, beauty care and the treatment of various skin conditions.
Today ONYX has two flagship products, for which two pending patents have been registered:
• Lunar Beauty Pillowcase: The Silver Pillowcase: This pillowcase was developed for daily use and and clients are reporting that it contributes to a firm, radiant, fresh facial skin, reducing and preventing wrinkles and lines, eliminating pimples and inflammations, and contributing to strengthening the hair roots to the point of stopping hair loss. In addition, the pillowcase helps to reduce symptoms of allergies and migraines, provides relief of hot flashes and even reduces or completely stops snoring.
A 28-year-old, who suffered from pigmentation for 12 years, and was treated with medication and cosmetic treatments that did not help her condition, slept on Onyx's silver pillowcase for 3 months, resulting in the total disappearance of facial pigmentation.
• Therapeutic pillowcase - The Zinc Pillowcase - a therapeutic pillowcase containing zinc which helps, upon to clients reviews, treating various skin infections such as acne, dermatitis, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis and more. This pillowcase was tested by both end-users and experimenters, who report the pillowcase has significantly reduced the severity of their skin problem, where medicinal treatments have failed.
A 22-year-old woman, who suffered from acne for 3 years and was treated with Roaccutane and cosmetic treatments that did not help her condition, slept on the Onyx zinc pillowcase for one month, and these were her results:
Another experimenter, a 25-year-old female, suffered from seborrhea for 5 years and was treated with ointments and cosmetic treatments that did not help her condition, slept on the Onyx zinc pillowcase for a week, and these were her results.
Both products are certified by OEKO-TEX STANDARD100, the strictest safety and quality standards in the textile world. They are manufactured from high-quality Egyptian cotton, with a 500 Thread Count.
The two flagship products have already been adopted by professional market leaders in Israel and their clients - cosmeticians, plastic surgeons and dermatologists, as well as by the private market. The products were first launched in the last quarter of 2018 and the sales rate is growing organically each month since.
Following is a set of customer feedbacks received for the ONYX products [each feedback received several times, from different customers]:
- Significant improvement in sleep quality
- Significant improvement in facial health and appearance
- Significant improvement in the appearance and health of scalp hair and even regrowth
- Significant improvement/cessation of allergy attacks
- Significant improvement/cessation of migraine attacks
- Significant improvement/disappearance of pigmentation
- Significant improvement/cessation of snoring
- Significant improvement in various skin conditions, even in situations where drug therapy was ineffective
Onyx will begin the R&D of a series of additional products, to be launched in the second half of 2019.
ONYX uses unique chemistry to embed mineral elements into cotton fibers and carefully selects minerals according to their properties.
The operation of the zinc and silver ions takes place in two ways:
- External activity on the surface of the skin - kills the pathogens found directly on the skin
- Penetration into the skin by means of pores that serve as drains of sweat and stubble, as well as through hair follicles
The uniqueness of silver ions
A quote from Wikipedia :"Silver and most silver compounds have an oligodynamic effect and are toxic for bacteria, algae and fungi."
"The effectiveness of silver compounds as an antiseptic is based on the ability of the biologically active silver ion (Ag+) to irreversibly damage key enzyme systems in the cell membranes of pathogens".
The effect of silver ions on disease-causing microorganisms is due to the fact that silver is used as a moderator of the enzymatic protein processes of these pathogenic organisms. Silver ions have a significant effect on the process of fibrogenesis, collagen synthesis and hyaluronic acid, and is therefore effective in anti-aging treatments. They are of great importance in the process of clarifying facial skin spots and improving skin texture and consistency.
The uniqueness of zinc ions
A quote from Wikipedia:" Zinc is widely used to treat a variety of skin conditions,including dermatitis,itching due to eczema,diaper rash and acne".
Zinc ions have a complex chemical mechanism that inhibits the process of dividing the fungal cell and dividing the bacterial cells. Zinc ion also has antioxidant properties.
Zinc ions reduce the level of ATP (a molecule that supplies energy to the cell) and harm the protein synthesis of the cell, making it the main ingredient for treating a variety of skin and scalp problems. Zinc is an important component of the transport proteins of retinol (an inactive type of vitamin A) to the skin cell receptors. Zinc plays an important role in cell replication, hormone balance, and good absorption of vitamins. In the case of acne, zinc is an essential and most important component of treatment and is a major component of the only drug currently available for acne (Roaccutane).
The company will conduct three clinical trials in 2019, as follows:
1. A clinical trial of the effectiveness of the zinc pillowcase in the treatment of acne
The clinical trial will be led by Prof. Avner Shemer of Sheba Medical Center, one of Israel's leading experts in the field of dermatology and infectious skin diseases, who will examine the effect of the zinc pillowcase on patients suffering from acne breakouts. ONYX, in the light of independent trials previously conducted, expects the clinical trial to make it the only company in the world with a product of this type to be proven clinically. Within the clinical trial, about 20 patients (the study group) will not receive any medical or cosmetic treatment during 45 days, during which they will use only the zinc pillowcase. A control group, on a similar scale, will also not be given any medical or cosmetic treatment during the same period of time, but will not use the ONYX pillowcase. During the test period and at the end of the examination, the faces of examinees of the two groups will be evaluated and results will be published.
2. A clinical trial of the effectiveness of silver ions in the treatment of atopic dermatitis
The clinical trial will be led by Dr. Marina Landau and Dr. Lior Leibo of Wolfson Hospital, who will examine the effect of silver ions on patients suffering from atopic dermatitis. The framework of the clinical trial is essentially identical to the experimental framework on the zinc pillowcase, as described above. Here, too, in light of the results so far, it is likely that the clinical trial will succeed and establish ONYX as the only company in the world with a product of this type, which has been demonstrated in a clinical trial.
3. A clinical trial to evaluate the effectiveness of silver ions in the treatment of breathing disorders in sleep and snoring
The clinical trial will be led by Prof. Rivi Tauman of Ichilov Hospital, who will examine the effect of silver ions on sleep disorders and the reduction of snoring. In this experiment, the patients themselves will form the control group, as they will sleep using the pillowcase within a pre-determined period of time, with results monitored during this period, and later on, they will be monitored for a similar frame of time, during which they will not use the pillow. In light of the results so far, it is reasonable to assume this clinical trial will succeed, making ONYX the only company in the world with a non-surgical solution to a problem affecting millions of people suffering around the world.
ONYX aims to become a leading global brand in the field of smart textiles for the bedroom and home, within five to ten years, including the sale of related and synergetic products.
Within a few months of activity following the launch of its products, ONYX has received frequent inquiries from potential customers and retailers in the far east market (excluding China in this stage) and the US market . The company plans to break into the US market in the second half of 2020.
ONYX will further on provide its customers with a range of solutions in various areas, with the goal of developing a synergetic product portfolio and becoming a one-stop shop for the brand's customers, enabling them to purchase a set of products to significantly upgrade their quality of life. The product portfolio will be managed under two departments, the Beauty & Wellbeing department and the Therapy department.
Beauty & Wellbeing Department:
- The development of a complete and prestigious bedding set that will complement the Lunar Beauty Pillowcase product
- Continuing R & D for embedding different types of minerals and plants into textiles, which have benefits in the fields of Beauty & Wellbeing
- Continuing R & D for embedding different types of minerals and plants into textiles, which have benefits in the fields of therapy
- Cooperation with leading universities to develop new products such as ointments that will complement and / or strengthen the treatment provided by the mineral-enriched textile